July 14, 2022 Russia-Ukraine News

Smoke rises from a destroyed building at the site of a Russian military strike in Vinnytsia, Ukraine on July 14. (Ukrainian State Emergency Service/Reuters)

At least 23 people died in an attack on the town of Vinnystia in central Ukraine, according to Ukrainian national police chief Ihor Klymenko.

The death toll includes three children and dozens of people are still missing, according to the Ukrainian State Emergency Service (SES).

A further 64 people, including four children, have been hospitalized – of whom 34 are in serious condition and five in critical condition, SES said, adding that searches are continuing for 42 missing people.

Klymenko said only six of the bodies have so far been identified and DNA testing may be needed to identify others.

More than 50 buildings and more than 40 cars were damaged by the strikes, Klymenko added.

The attack was carried out with Russian Kalibr cruise missiles that were launched from submarines stationed in the Black Sea, according to Kyrylo Tymoshenko, deputy head of the Ukrainian president’s office.

“The enemy continues to have 32 ‘Kalibr’ type cruise missiles ready on three surface ships and two submarines, and two large landing ships are also present” in the Black Sea, the forces’ southern operational command had said. Ukrainian armies. Monday.

Dmytro Kuleba, Ukraine’s foreign minister, called the missile attack “terrorism”.

“Already 20 civilians have been confirmed dead following a Russian missile strike on Vinnytsia. Three children, including a toddler, pictured. This is terrorism,” Kuleba said. tweeted.

“Deliberate killing of civilians to instill fear. Russia is a terrorist state and must be legally recognized as such,” he added.

More reaction: The UN Secretary General said he was appalled by the missile attack in Vinnytsia.

“The Secretary-General condemns any attack on civilians or civilian infrastructure and reiterates his call for accountability for such violations,” said a spokesman for Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.

In a joint statement, European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell and European commissioner for crisis management Janez Lenarčič condemned the strike.

“We have both witnessed with our own eyes the horrific destruction that Russia has inflicted on Ukraine and its people. The civilian population continues to pay a heavy price in this war, due to the fundamental disregard for the Russia for international humanitarian law, facing death, violence, including sexual violence, forced deportations and destruction,” they said.

There can be no impunity for these actions and all those responsible will be held accountable, they added.

See what the scene looks like on the pitch:

Christi C. Elwood